Thursday, April 3, 2008

Everything You Could Ask For

in a staircase. Because this set of stairs is so narrow and tightly folded on itself, it looks as if it probably belongs to an upscale apartment or townhouse. Despite this, however, it has many qualities to recommend it. The style is very simple, yet the contrast of the well-polished dark wood with the white paint provides interest that would otherwise be lacking. The stairs are narrow from side to side, but their gentle curve and the sweep of the hand rail add elegance and a sense of refinement. The light paint prevents the small space from seeming too close or claustrophobic, yet that very smallness provides a bit of hobbitish coziness, enhanced once again by the gleaming hardwood floor and accents. Altogether, a very pleasant little hall and stairway, one I would be quite happy to have in my own home.

1 comment:

Sylvia said...

I love it! Growing up we always lived in one-story houses, but I told myself when I grew up I would have a house with a staircase, preferably in Vermont. I'm not sure why about Vermont now, yet the idea of a staircase is still appealing. Of course there are dangers to them with small children, but the vertical space is so neat to me! :)